Sparkler and Novelty Safety
When using sparklers, chinese sky lanterns, champagne party poppers, or any other novelty item or trick device, it is important to make sure you put safety first. We have outlined below some important safety tips that will help you get the most out of your experience while staying safe in the process.
Overall Novelty Safety Tips:
- Always read and follow the instructions on the item’s label or packaging.
- Adult supervision is always required. Novelty items are not recommended for children under age 8.
- Always store unused novelty items in a dry location. Items will store for several years in a cool, dry place.
- Never point or throw novelty items at yourself or other people.
- Never carry novelty items in your pocket.
- Never put lit novelty items in glass or plastic containers.
Wedding Sparkler Safety Tips:
- Obey the local laws and use common sense.
- Always read and follow instructions. Always have an adult present.
- Keep burning sparklers away from clothing and flammable objects.
- Only use sparklers outdoors, away from buildings and vehicles.
- Light only one sparkler at a time.
- Alcohol, fireworks and sparklers do not mix. Be responsible.
- Do not point or throw sparklers at another person
- Children under the age of 12 should not handle sparklers.
- When finished, place used sparklers in a bucket of water.
Chinese Sky Lantern Safety Tips:
- Not ssuitable for use by children under 16 years of age.
- Must not be used when under the influence of alcohol.
- Use only in very calm and low wind conditions.
- Sky lanterns should not be used when the wind speeds are above 5mph.
- Must NOT be used within 5 miles of an airport.
- Do not use near dry crops or other materials that may easily catch fire.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher and/or bucket of water nearby.
- If the lantern somehow catches fire, extinguish it & discard. DO NOT TRY TO REUSE.
- Only use sky lanterns outdoors in wide open spaces.
- It is much easier and safer when two people to launch one lantern at a time.
- When used properly, sky lanterns are very safe. However, full responsibility is placed on the user of the shy lantern.
- If you are near the coast, we recommend that you notify local coast guard or life boat services that you will be releasing your sky lanterns. This will help avoid confusion, as they have occasionaly been mistaken for flares fired by a ship in distress.
Champagne Party Popper Safety Tips:
- Party poppers, when used properly, are safe for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Always point poppers up and away from you and anyone standing near you.
- Pull string to release streamers and confetti.
- Do not try to disassemble or reassemble a dud party popper.